Beginning in a matter of mere weeks, the EU will be enforcing the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – a set of laws designed to protect the personal data of its citizens. Effective May 25, the GDPR applies to any company that processes or stores the personal data of EU citizens.
GDPR BASIC COMPLIANCE
A common misconception is the GDPR only applies to organizations operating within the EU. No matter where your business or server is located if your website processes the personal data of just one EU citizen, you must comply with the GDPR.
Websites with customers/visitors from the EU that collect, store or use any personal data of those citizens, will be required to meet certain GDPR standards.
Here’s a few examples of simple data collection that makes you liable to the GDPR requirements.
- Has a contact form
- Has a shopping cart
- Collects email addresses through a newsletter sign up form
The focus of the GDPR is to make the data collection and storage process transparent to users. In short, the GDPR will require websites to:
- Announce to users what data is being collected, why its being collected and where the data is being stored
- Require clear consent from users before collecting any personal data
- Allow users access the data that is collected
- Allow users to delete their data at any time
- Immediately alert users to any data breaches
Not complying with the GDPR puts you at risk for massive fines up to $20 million or 4% of global revenue, whichever is greater.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE GDPR READ:
Here are a few links we recommend to help you brush up on the GDPR changes and compliance processes:
- An Introduction to GDPR Compliance for WooCommerce Stores (Source: WooCommerce)
- GDPR Last Minute Kit (Source: HubSpot – A free guide with GDPR checklist)
- GDPR For Entrepreneurs: What You Need To Know (Source: Amy Porterfield & Bobby Klinck)
FREE 1-YEAR MEMBERSHIP TO FTC GUARDIAN
KartHost™ recently announced our partnership with FTC Guardian. We are now offering our customers a FREE 1-YEAR MEMBERSHIP (normally $288) with FTC Guardian the leading online resource for website compliance with the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
FTC Guardian also helps in generating customized legal documents for use on your website. While its main focus is getting in compliance with the privacy laws of the US FTC, some FTC Guardian documents will overlap in getting you compliant with the GDPR.
For all KartHost™ customers, login to your KartHost™ Customer Center and look for a popup page containing your unique URL and password. You will then be given access to your FREE 1-YEAR MEMBERSHIP with FTC Guardian.
Roy – 832-220-0040 ext 101
Gail – 832-220-0040 ext 102